Thursday 2 August, 2007

Rainy memories...

It drizzled mist this morning. In fact drizzled is probably a little too strong, since it implies that the drops actually fell :) These tiny droplets on the other hand paid almost the bare minimum courtesy to gravity! They floated, swirled and generally made merry with the wind. :) It gradually intensified into a drizzle by the end of the hour of course, but it was delightful while it lasted...

There are so many things, events and memories that I associate with the rains, both pleasant and annoying...

As an example, I remember discovering a six inch plant with a cluster of tender, dark crimson leaves peeking out from the overgrown grass, the result of a mango seed I had planted on a mere whim that summer... I remember playing on the porch with my sister while it rained like there was no tomorrow... I remember the droplets on the broad, glossy, dark green leaves turning into silvery pearls and go rolling off in all directions as soon as I tilted one... I remember the bright, soft, velvet green of the moss...

I remember the smell of the first rains, the sound of ever present thunder... I remember sudden showers as a branch was suddenly shaken over me... :) I remember walking (splashing rather :) ) in all the puddles I came across as a child and the feel of the water swirling about my ankles... I also remember the mud spattered legs and clothes and the scoldings those resulted in :) I remember the innumerable times I lost my footing on mossy pavements, slick mud and wet stairs. :D

I remember the vast hordes of moths and other flying insects fluttering around the orange of the streets lamps. I remember the fevers which my brother would invariably come down with as a baby... I remember the insects, the frogs, the grasshoppers, the earthworms, the snakes and lord knows what else creeping, wriggling and hopping everywhere they could manage! And I remember the annoyance of having to walk in wet footwear... And the times the roads turned into canals and it was risky going through unfamiliar roads because of the possibility of open manholes... I remember the impossibility of keeping our all-white school uniform clean... I remember wishing that the sun would show up and the sky quit being overcast and grey all the time... I remember the afternoons spent sweltering in the humidity because there was not even the hint of wind.

But then I also remember the countless paper boats, the hot snacks and the lovely weather :) I also remember the sudden dashes made in an attempt to escape a bad shower... I remember the fresh, intense greens, reds, pinks... (you get the picture :) ) of the greenery and the flowers nestled there in. I remember getting drenched on various occasions (both by chance and design :) ) and the music being played at full blast...

Heck! Seems this particular post has turned out to be almost entirely a private walk down the memory lane... Oh well... I suppose my muse has taken some time off from providing me with new ideas or inspiration, and decided to present me with images and memories instead... :) So I must make do with what I have been provided :)

Till the next time...

No comments: